Board Meeting – January 18th, 2016

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: _7:35_____ pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab,, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Absent: Mike Sullivan

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Bob

Second by: Louie

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Approval of Minutes:

December 21st, 2015

Motion: Louie

Second: Bob

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

 

Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Afton- $4,260 – is unaccounted for. Loss of 19.901 loss for the festival. Louie- we should put the addition of the $4k into the loss. Bob- Agrees to add the $4k on so that the loss is decreased. Noel-close the book on the extra money. Afton- total loss for 2015 $15,641. Afton- next meeting sign off on the year end festival P&L after communicating with Dennis the discussion from tonight. Discussion on communicating and sending in information to Dennis. Erin – making sure that she is sending in marketing receipts correctly and reimbursement. Erin- wanted to make sure no further

Treasurer Report

P&L for 2015 Festival (Quebec)

 

Final 2015 Festival Report

Discussion: – Noel- make sure that in the future we have more direct supervision if/when working with an outside group.ttle more caution when working with international vendors for festivals.

 

2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)

 

Note from fest registrar Mike Sullivan: YourMembership has just rolled out a greatly improved and simplified event registration system which we will be able to use for this year’s regs.Looking to make the cost under $25K especially since the centers make their money from food vending, and using the donor money responsibly and great for the festival participants.

Registration- March 1-14th early Reg.

Vendors- Is there a vendor policy/pricing per year/tables/structure. Clarification needed on the IJA vendor program. More organization needed on Docs for year to year.

 

Discussion: Social Media promo has launched. Stickers are being printed to send to Mondo, Groundhog and Austin. In negotiation with many talented artists, confirmations coming in.  Keeping a few spots open for the Shows, for acts that don’t qualify for the championships.  Website pages are well underway with design work, thanks to Steve.  Brunch – Jim is getting quotes.  $18 – $30 per head depending on how many people will be in attendance.  Working with hotels and convention centers, and thus it won’t be cheap.

Vendors – price and process? Erin will look for 2014.  Jim will contact Mike.

Inventory -There are a lot of things in the Festival Bins that seem unneeded to ship every year from fest director to fest direct. Games from Quebec, are in disarray. Jim will get volunteers in Austin to inventory and try to put the games back together. Items are not being shipped with care. Bob- Have Jim inventory the items and get back to the board to see what needs to be kept and what needs to be discarded.

Festival team has entered into a contract for head communication devices for the organizing team during the convention.

Crates will not be going to Austin after El Paso. 2 large black crates. Games as well.

Nathan- Lucas Cup will be restored and will need to be shipped so logistics need to be worked out. Registration questions- will all workshops and other expenses be ready and in place by March. Are we ready to announce our special guests.

Jim and Erin have confirmed several guests and plan to have guests announced in the newsletter, several at time instead of a full list. Most information needs to be in before the last Friday of the month. There are only 2 newsletters left before registration opens. Jim- will have something to Newsletter this week.

Jim- Erin did a great job of additional donation for cascade of stars. Una Med $1300 … $11,300 for Cascade of stars.

 

Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Erin- Social media marketing- FB Event Pages- has an invite limit of 500. Instagram posts are also moving up. The videos are going viral. Team IJA international has been started Peru, Mexico, Columbia, representatives. 2 new video series for FB and youtube. Promotion for IRC also starting. Noel- great that we are having so many S. American participation.

Latin American Convention- Has asked IJA to sponsor monthly regional gatherings and their convention. Sponsorship would be utilization of our logo and some promotion of their events.

YJA Report (Ellen Winters)

Discussion:Nathan- No report received.  Website is in progress.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion:

 

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Louie – getting over the 1k mark would be great. Question on how we should move those numbers up.

 

IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion:

 

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Starting to book appointments for the National Association of Sports Commissions (NASC) Symposium in Grand Rapids, MI in April, where I will meet with up to 40 potential host cities for our 2019 festival. Any feedback or recommendations on our festival week format or regions/cities/venues to consider, please let me know.

Discussion:

 

  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to approve the Award Committee’s 2016 Honorary Award Selections.

Motion:  Shivella

Second: Louie

Discussion: Jim will reach out to Picaso JR. and Nathan will speak with the committee on reaching out to other award selection folks. Nathan – question over festival comp entry or fees paid. Jim- recommends a policy for budgeting and selection and funding for these other expenses. Bob- having Jim announce to Picaso and ask for a performance at the same time.

Vote: Motion Pass

  1. Motion to change the following in the Stage Championship Rules:

    “The Championships Director does not participate in the judging of any competitor’s preliminary or final performance and should not communicate with or influence the judges’ scoring of any routine.”

to

“The Championships Director does not participate in the judging of any competitor’s preliminary or final performance and should not influence the judges’ scoring.”

http://dev.juggle.org/ija/championships/stage-championship-rules-2016/

Motion:Noel

Second:Louie

Discussion: Nathan= the current wording implies that the director cannot communicate with the judges. The revision would allow judge to communicate, but not influence judging.

Vote: Motion passes

 

  1. Motion to approve the change of this year’s Officer Position of Mexico Representative from Juan Rosas Mendez to Jorge Vilchis.

Motion:Bob

Second: Noel

Discussion: Noel- Jorge is an amazing juggler.  Erin- Jorge has been organizing videos and IRC. Juan is also in favor of the change of officer position.

Vote: motion passes

  1. Motion to add the following positions to this year’s IJA Officers:

    Peru Representative: Gino Crovetto Pellegrin

    Colombia Representative: Santi Durango

    Central American Representative: Geovanni Zamora Granados

    Motion:Louie

    Second: Bob

    Discussion:Erin- These representatives are excited. Hoping to get the juggle.org email for the representatives.  Noel- what are representatives receiving? Erin= Extreme gratitude and only getting payment if they are doing ejuggle specials.

    Vote: motion passes

  2. Motion to accept the 2015 Festival P & L Statement

Motion: No motion

Second:

Discussion:

Vote:

 

  1. Varia:
  1. Vacant Board Position- Nathan- Warren has resigned. Options are to amend the bylaws or appoint another member. Jared Davis has offered to help out.  Also, vacancy could also be left open. Louie- if we have enough people to vote, we should wait until we have the call for all board members. Martin=If we have someone on the board, then we have an extra person to bounce ideas off of. Noel= getting another person is a good call, even as a future potential board member. If not Jared, then a strong potential.  Mention in the newsletter that there is a vacancy. Nathan- we will put in the newsletter and see if there is interest. Warren mentioned that he was interested in putting a letter in the newsletter on his leaving the board.
  2. 2017 Festival Director Update- Nathan- Cheryl Sayers update- She is interested in Cedar Rapids but has concerns of organizational issues. Greg Owsley from Kansas city festival and she would be interested in co-directing or having Greg do it completely. Jim and Bob have both been to a festival of his and offer their endorsement. Jim has offered to reach out to Greg.
  3. Board and Chair nominations- Nathan- reminder that nominations open up soon. At present Nathan is not planning on running for board. Noel- the next board Chair needs to be prepped soon. Executive director position- in the last vision planning –
  1. Set February Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – Feb. 1st 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – Feb. 15th 7:30 pm ET.

  1. Adjournment

Motion to adjourn: Noel

Discuss:

Voting:

Meeting adjourned at _9:18_____ pm ET.