Board meeting – June 19th, 2017

1. Call to Order
Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:35 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Ian Michael Loughlin, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Scott Cain, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Dan Holzman
Present: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Exuro, Noel Yee,Shivella Schwab, Scott Cain, Afton Benson, Dan Holzman, Ian Michael Loughlin, Martin Frost,
Absent:, Marvin Ong, Mike Sullivan, Erin Stephens,

3. Approval of Agenda
Motion: Louie
Second by: Noel
Discussion: Noel:Please keeping reports within the time limits.
Vote: Approved

4. Approval of Minutes:
Business Board Meeting May 22nd, 2017.
Motion: Scott
Second: Louie
Discussion:
Vote: Approved

5. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)

Financial Report (Afton Benson)
Discussion:
We had an issue with the medals order, we have potentially too many for joggling. However, this has already been paid and was a honest mistake by all parties involved so not much to do there.
I have emailed Dan regarding the contracts I do not have.
A friendly reminder, no one is to be reimbursed via cash out of the cash box at the festival. I will write them a check once I have a receipt in hand and know the area the expense is going. Anyone working the desk should be informed of this and no exceptions will be made without my or Nathan’s approval.
Mike sent numbers and they looked good.
Nathan: there is a system in place for funds that come up during the festival.
Pushing joggling for the youth and others.

2017 Festival Report (Dan Holzman)
Discussion: Dan- Shirts have been sent in. We are up 3% on our numbers. Martin: shirts have problems.
Fri and Sat: Tony Fercos Historical Achievement winner will be there! We are getting him a room.
People’s choice, Cascade of Stars
Room layout has been set for vendors
A/V Quote (looks good) and Theater quote (still needs to be negotiated a bit) have been sent in
Welcome dinner at Hotel on Monday night (invitation coming) Up to 25 or 30 people
Show info at the site
5 buskers for the Farmers Market
Dan will arrive Friday night
Easels/ Dry erase signage from hotel
Workshop leaders are filling up the schedule-
Nathan: When will the schedule for workshop be available. Even a week before festival. Any time before festival so folks can plan
Noel: Lodging: a mention that it is a bit pricey. Near the venue and affordable is something to consider.
Martin: we added another (now 4 Hotels) that is in the $77 +
Shivella: is camping an option
Martin: was not an optimal option in the past.
Mary Joyce- niece of one of our founders will be in attendance.
Scott: How many are preregistered. Dan: 438 brunches / Martin- 379 paid 43 comps. 422 including comps

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)
Mike Sullivan, 6/16 – As we’ll be out of the country by Monday night, here is my report.
Waiting on contracts from Embassy Theatre (Fort Wayne 2019) and beginning contracting discussions with all properties for El Paso 2020.
I have good contracts for all the Fort Wayne properties except the Embassy, and I have escalated this delay with the Visit Fort Wayne people to see if they can push it along.
I’ve already received contracts from the DoubleTree Hotel in El Paso and the Hotel del Norte, which will be under the Marriott flag by the time we are there. Have also had an initial discussion with the EPCAPAC people for contract drafting for the Plaza Theatre and the Convention Center.
Discussion: Noel: Feels that Fort Wayne and El Paso should have more central locations. These seem like the worst locations. We should be looking for places that already have a community and not just finding a place that wants us.
Louie: the future locations take some legwork. When Mike steps out of his role it will need to be filled.
Nathan: if any members know of and would like to get contacts and research for future festival to send to Mike.
Martin: Great idea for people to look at local sites. Don’t spend any money or IJA money without approval. Investigations are purely unofficial

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion:

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion:

Marketing (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Poi Juggling demonstration (video) was awesome, and the collaboration is a good idea.

IRC (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:

World Juggling Day (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Martin: we are doing on-demand and the process was simple for shirts. We will make about $300 at least with the sales so far. It is a lot of work but does help get the publicity out there.
Nathan: what is the name : PrintAura.com
Martin: the process is that we pay printaura through paypal and shopify.
We can save some money if we add our bank account to shopify- Shoot Dennis email to explore this option

YJA (Galen Harp)
Discussion:We have an outline and are waiting for designs.
Kathy and Mckenzie Semper are competing and hoop juggling get information about requirements from them.

6. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to approve Noel Yee as the 2018 Festival Director, pending a signed contract.
Letter of Interest
Motion:Scott
Second:Shivella
Discussion:Noel: Has 4 years on the board. Lives in Philly and is up and down the east coast (and even some contacts on the west coast) excited to
Nathan: it has been great having you on board, and it is
Questions:
Are you still currently a school teacher? N- Yes is at a prestigious private school
Are you acclimated/ balance ? N- Has run fire drums for 7 years, and helped out this year. Owns a business that owns conglomerate. Also runs shows in San Francisco.
Attendance for board meetings., will you be able to provide reports and be available for the board? N – Was show director at Purdue, and helped in Quebec, Will be able to attend board meetings and provide reports to the board.
Springfield originally voted against why the change of heart? N- originally did not live here, now living in the east coast have more of an allegiance to this coast. Back then wanted a west coast IJA.
What do envision? N- IJA post card / A wealth of making events profitable. Make the IJA generate income while carrying on tradition. Was not equiped when he started with the IJA but now knows he can at the very least be a spokesperson for what the IJA does. Since he has festival experience can bring that and a new perspective from flow to the national juggling community
What uniqueness of festival or ideas do you have for Fest? Trying to find a place for the different communities to become part of the festival (circus, flow, other groups) Strong motivation for busking and also flow zone. Really want to pitch as binding the juggling community pulling from the south.
Louie: Loves the idea of being the ambassador for the IJA and doing the festival from the flow community will bring many in.
Are you going to talk to past directors? Will be spending time with Dan and Mike at the festival this year. Would like to get into the logistical and get started as soon as possible to be ready at the festival to jump out the gate.

Outcome: Motion passes (Noel abstain from voting)

B. Motion to store the IJA Archives with David Cain on a loan basis, pending a logistical agreement.
Proposal

Motion:Shivella
Second:Louie
Discussion: We are potentially losing our space where the archives are stored ( in Las Vegas). Alan Howard will not be there any longer. Scott: Brother David owns the juggling museum and is able to house and possible long term archive them. It would be at a loan at this point. Still figuring out the logistics to transport the archives.
Martin: believes that Alan said there is a truck going from Vegas to Iowa. If so it will save the cost of shipping.
Outcome: Motion passes (Scott abstained from voting)

C. Motion to authorize up to $140 for spending on YJA promotional materials.
Breakdown: 1,000 button blanks from the American Button Machines online store: 65.95 plus shipping

2ftx4ft Custom Banner from Fed Ex: 49.99 The image will be the YJA logo, the IJA logo(if we are allowed to use it on the banner), and a few of the button designs.

Magnetic buttons test for any children not allowed to have anything sharp. Right now we just give those kids a certificate. : 2.00
Motion:Ian
Second:Noel
Discussion:
Outcome:Motion passes

D. Motion to accept the 1st Quarter 2017 Balance Sheet.
Balance Sheet
Motion: Shivella
Second:Scott
Discussion:
Outcome:

E. Motion to accept the 1st Quarter 2017 Profit and Loss Statement.
P & L
Motion:Shivella
Second:Ian
Discussion:
Outcome:Motion passes

7. Varia:
Festival Roll Call
Yes: Nathan, Noel, Shivella, Scott, Ian, Martin, Exuro
No: Louie

8. See you at the Festival! – AGM July 12th at 11am
Happy 70th Bday IJA!
Thanks to Noel, Marvin, and Shivella.

9. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Noel
Discussion: Juggling….always
Voting:
Meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm ET.

Leave a Reply