Board Meeting – September 22, 2013

Business Board Meeting September 22, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#

 Start the Recording – 5:33 pm PST.

1. Call to Order
Chair Erin Stephens called the meeting to order at 5:34 pm PST.

2. Roll
Present: Erin Stephens (chair), Nathan Wakefield, Scott Krause, Kyle Johnson, Jared Davis, Noel Yee, Mike Sullivan, Martin Frost, Cody Fiereck
Absent: Lloyd Timberlake, Kim Laird (2013 Fest Director), Sandy Brown

3. Approval of Agenda
Kyle Johnson moved to approve the agenda for September 22, 2013.
Second by: Noel Yee
Discussion: Motion D – Approving 2014 fest director has two options, which will be discussed when we arrive.
Vote: Passed unanimously

Approval of Minutes:

August 4th Minutes
Motion: Kyle Johnson
Second: Noel Yee
Discussion: None
Vote: Passed Unanimously

August 18th Minutes
Motion:  Scott Krause
Second: Nathan Wakefield
Discussion:
Vote: Passed Unanimously

4. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less)

2013 Post Festival Report (Kim Laird)
Kim is unable to make it.  Text of her email is:

I was planning on being at tonight’s meeting but will not be able to make it after all. I just got back from urgent care a little while ago and found out I have strep throat. I don’t have much of a voice so really won’t be able to talk anyway.

I am working on the fest financials with Holly and Scott. I did go back through the BGSU charges which are all right in line with the original agreement. There were some surprise expenses concerning the theater and those happened mostly because of performer needs. The only things I personally took out of the budget were that I comped fest packages for Rob and myself… without Rob I would have never accomplished what I needed to accomplish… and the fee for the 2 golf carts for the week. Those were used to transport performers and items needed from the gym to the theater, etc.

I know performer travel was higher than I anticipated in my original budget but that still doesn’t show, according to my calculations, an almost break-even fest rather than a profit fest. Holly and I just have to get together and find where there are differences in our numbers and reconcile those asap.

Concerning the 2013 fest video, I have received several names of interested parties. They will all receive a copy of the 2011 DVD in the next few weeks and will then submit their bids on completing the 2013 fest video. I will submit all bids to the board when they are received. The plan is that all bids be received one week prior to your next board meeting.

Discussion:  Kim, Scott, and Holly will talk about it this week.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JK9cNGc5h4goguAYEqslDTiSBV0-mVcx-uMEM4aB3Ds/edit

Discussion:  Next few days will tell about Quebec City for 2015.  Concern areas may prevent us from going.  We may have to find alternate/primary site for 2015.  Other top prospect sites are in the report.  Mike will upload 2015 festival proposal to the google docs.  Total costs could be up to $71,000.  Some rental costs have first come up in the past few weeks – rental costs for the circus school.  There just aren’t many theaters near the circus school.  Will put that information into folder called “Turbo Proposal.”

It would be a loss to the IJA if we couldn’t go to Turbo location in 2015.  Other venues are very expensive.  They only have 3 months of tourist season, which includes the time of the IJA fest.  I’d like to continue thinking about.

Is it big enough anyway?  Turbo has 200, and seemed full then.  That’s why there was discussion on more space rental.  Gym rentals and circus tents are rather expensive.  For comparison, Purdue is $400/night, while Turbo is ~$5000/night.

Jared is disappointed with quebec info, but feels that the festival needs improvement.  Erin wants to discuss improvement for the fest at the call in 2 weeks.  Revamping requirements sheet for a venue?  Giving guidance on regions for the festival search?  Find director then venue?  Buying a circus tent and being mobile (like EJC)?

Suggestion as potential – Vancouver.

YEP Report (Ellen Winters)
Discussion: Ambitious and awesome.  YEP team may have to buckle down or narrow down.

IRC Report (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: Little new to report.

Website Report (Scott Krause)
Discussion: What’s the timeline?  December is very ambitious.  Can it be met?  Scott’s shooting for it.  What will be met with wordpress?  Hasn’t yet been evaluated.  Next talk with Scott A Monday or Tuesday.

Marketing (Erin Stephens)
Discussion:Erin’s trying to get the word out before we have a festival director.

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion: On year ago was when we put out the Wes Peden video, so some may be falling off.

Financial Report (Scott Krause)
Discussion: Need to get a breakdown of what the designated funds are.  What would be the amount of the life member fund if there was no borrowing done in 2011 and 2012 – ~$100,000

5. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to approve Cody Fierek as the 2014 IJA Festival Director, pending a signed contract between he and the IJA Board Chair.
Motion: Kyle Johnson
Second: Noel Yee
Discussion: Cody made a statement of enthusiasm.  Erin had sent out an initial budget that needs to be modified based on the 2014 site.

Q: Have you been to an IJA convention? – No, but been to Mondo, which is a weekend festival that is structured similarly.  Cody will be partnered with Erin, Kyle, and maybe local people.

Q: Is this a volunteer position?  No – board voted to pay a $5000 stipend.

Q: Where located?  Minneappolis, MN.

Organized others?  Other festivals, yes, and was in charge of organizing Kinetic Fire, with 450 total attendees

How long is that?  Thursday to Sunday.  Worked with team of people, where he was the primary director.  Key is to have someone in charge, with a great team.

What’s your ability to meet the hours?  Runs a company called Inspire Performance.  Can work on this around his job.  The winter is a slower time, when he has more available time.  Cody just quit his full time job as at Best Buy, so he can focus more on performance world.

Lots of fire jams over the past 4 years and other community events.

Concern – no experience with an IJA.  Don’t be surprised with how much is involved.  Erin talked with him about it.  Links to videos, and DVDs from past fests for him to watch.

Noel supports Cody.  He is a supportive, effective leader.  He’s good at communication and budgeting.  Cody is super organized.

Please clarify availability.  Time when travel is in the Summer, which is when he expects most of planning to be completed.  Cody still feels he has the time to commit to the IJA fest directorship.

Why do you want to do this?  #1 is building the community is key.  He wants to bridge the juggling and spinning worlds.

What do you practice?  Just about everything I can, but I prefer staff.  You have to expand, though, so he likes working on different props.  Balls, Clubs Rings….

Need to be sure about costs and how much it is going to impact the costs.  $5000 is bare bones, and we should think about how important it is to think about the money when discussing the position.  In the past, there has been comped packages and flights, etc, but we need to be comfortable with how its going to be handled.

Cody would be a good person to have because he brings in a different perspective to the IJA.  He has a fresh perspective, and can help reevaluate what is important to the IJA members.

Do you have any ideas for things to add/change at the fest?  New events, new things?  Nothing right now, but reviewing past fest information may help that one.  Would probably be a good thing to discuss with a steering committee.

Erin has been looking at people from last year, and is going to pass on continuing volunteers to new fest director as a launching point.

Kyle is on board with helping the new fest director.

Board must approve the budget prior to implementation.

“Signed contract” in motion = ???.  Lloyd created a contract for us to use.  Includes payment options, responsibilities, etc.

What’s the timeline for getting the contract, voting, negotiation, and contract?  – Timeline estimate – within the week.

Vote: Passed Unanimously

Please send cody’s information to David Landowne to update the web site.

B. Motion to approve funding a site visit for the 2014 IJA Festival Director, not to exceed $600.
Motion: Scott Krause
Second: Jared Davis
Discussion: Initial pricing done by Erin.  Includes stipend for food.  To be included in festival budget for 2014.  Cody will have to schedule the visit with the site coordinator.  Noel would like to attend the site visit, if possible.  Scott would like to visit, as well.
Vote: Passed Unanimously

C. Motion to approve the following people for the following Officer Positions for the 2013-2014 term:

Webmaster

David Landowne

Communications Director

Martin Frost

Future Festival Site Coordinator

Mike Sullivan

Membership Coordinator

Marilyn Sullivan

Newsletter Editor

Don Lewis

Store Manager

Heather Marriott

Mexican Representative

Juan Mendez Rosas

Canadian Representative

Mike Moore

Graphic Design Coordinator

Cesar Delgado

Roster Wrangler

Greg Phillips

Affiliates Director

Jim Maxwell

Marketing Director

Kyle Johnson

Treasurer

Scott Krause

Archives Director

Alan Howard

Video Coordinator

Nathan Wakefield

Volunteer Coordinator

Warren Hammond

Motion: Kyle Johnson
Second: Noel Yee
Discussion: Should we remove Thom Wall’s name for Newsletter coordinator?

Kyle Johnson – Amendment to the motion: The newsletter editor is Don Lewis, removing Thom Wall’s name.
Will not combine with next motion, because there are more than one people to consider for European Rep.
Nathan asked about Ross D. for graphic design.  He did not have the time for that right now, so declined nomination.
Vote: Passed Unanimously

D. Motion to approve Rinus Samyn as 2014 European Rep.
Motion:  Noel Yee
Second: Kyle Johnson
Discussion:Noel strongly supports Rinus. Application sounds very good.  He’s active in the EJC and has a lot of contacts.
Vote: Passed Unanimously

6. Varia

A. Discuss idea and details for 4-6 month Constant Contact trial period.
Discussion: Recap of the discussions on boardplus.  Please continue to give input on the boardplus boards.

7. Next Meeting
Next future planning BoD, will be held at 5:30 pm PST on Oct 6, 2013.
Next business BoD meeting will be held at 5:30 pm PST on Oct. 27, 2013.

8. Adjournment
Motion: Noel Yee
Discuss:
Voting: Passed Unanimously

Meeting adjourned at 6:54 pm PST.

Mike

A lover of 3b juggling, learning, and teaching.