Editors: Don Lewis & Martin Frost
- 2020 World Joggling Championships take place online
- It’s a Juggling Act! documentary is on Vimeo
- Latest articles in eJuggle (find a few that interest you and check them out!)
- Upcoming juggling festivals
2020 World Joggling Championships take place online by Len Ferman
When the COVID-19 pandemic suddenly shut down the sports world in March, Emily Moore, director of the IJA’s World Joggling Championships (running while juggling) had a back-up plan ready to go.
Several months earlier, a brainstorming session had developed the idea of an online championships in which competitors submit videos of their performances. The idea was thought to be useful for letting people participate who could not travel to the IJA festival.
However, in mid-March, Emily suddenly realized that the online submissions could be used as a way to save the 2020 World Joggling Championships, scheduled to take place in July, from postponement or cancellation. Implementing the idea brilliantly, Emily staged a highly successful event in July that resulted in several world records and a thoroughly entertaining highlight reel.
See how it all worked out in the eJuggle article (with numerous photos) 2020 World Joggling Championships Take Place Online.
And watch the 2-minute 2020 Joggling Championships highlight reel.
(Photo by, of, and edited by, Sterling Franklin.)
It’s a Juggling Act! documentary is on Vimeo by Cintia Cabib
Filmmaker Cintia Cabib’s 1999 documentary It’s a Juggling Act! is now on Vimeo where you can watch it for free.
In the 20-minute film, members of a juggling club, a marathoner who juggles while he runs, and two professional performers celebrate the beauty and joy of this ancient art, described by one juggler as “a sculpture that exists as long as you keep your hands moving.”
Among the people featured are performers Michael Rosman and Laura Green, and joggler Barry Goldmeier. In his review in the Nov/Dec 1999 issue of JUGGLE magazine, Eric Bagai said, “In its quiet and unpretentious way, this could be my favorite juggling video of all time.”
Latest articles in eJuggle
- 08/30 Book Review: Pottery in Motion (by David Cain)
- 08/29 Juggling for Indigenous Embera (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/28 2020 World Joggling Championships Take Place Online (by Guest Writer)
- 08/27 Firs Petrovich Zemtsev (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/26 IJA Tricks of the Month by Komei from Japan | Juggling rings (by IJA Tricks of the Month)
- 08/25 The Book All Jugglers Need: Aspiring Beginners and Experts Alike (by Guest Writer)
- 08/24 Hula Hulero Callejero (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/22 Dana Smith on “Drop Everything” podcast with host Dan Holzman (by Daniel Holzman)
- 08/22 Marina Kordaban (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/21 Bob Ripa and Paolo Piletto – Rastelli-Inspired Jugglers (by David Cain)
- 08/20 World Juggling Day Colombia 2020 – Review (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/18 IJA Tricks of the Month by Endrina and Jim from Venezuela | Juggling (by IJA Tricks of the Month)
- 08/18 Interview with Toto (Luis Niño Villesca) (by David Cain)
- 08/17 Jim Harrigan – The Original Tramp Juggler (by David Cain)
- 08/16 Interview with Jack Denger (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/14 Remembering IJA Videographer Henry Benton, 1971-2020 (by Guest Writer)
- 08/12 IJA Tricks of the Month by Ameron Rosvall | Juggling (by IJA Tricks of the Month)
- 08/11 Seven club backcrosses (by Esteban Velez)
- 08/07 Ask David – August 2020 (by David Cain)
- 08/05 IJA Tricks of the Month by Alexis Levillon from France | Diabolo (by IJA Tricks of the Month)
- 08/02 Remembering Rudi Schweitzer (by David Cain)
Upcoming juggling festivals
Note: Virtually all juggling festivals planned for the coming months have been canceled or rescheduled because of the worldwide pandemic, though some will be held online.
To find a juggling fest near you or online, check the fest list at The Juggling Edge. Eventually festivals will return.