Board Meeting – May 23rd, 2016

  1. Call to Order

Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:33 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Bob Neuman, Noel Yee, Marvin Ong, Shivella Schwab, Jared Davis, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Jim Maxwell

Present:   Nathan, Louie, Bob, Jared, Mike, Erin, Martin, Jim, Shivella, Noel

  1. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Jared

Second by: Louie

Discussion: Last minute motion added – all good. Added in time, before the vote to approve minutes.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

4. Approval of Minutes:

April 25th, 2016

Motion: Jared

Second: Bob

Discussion: Nil

Vote: Unanimously Approved


  1. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)


Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Not this time, no major things to report. Our 990 is filed and ready to go for the year.


2016 IJA Festival Report (Jim Maxwell)-

Discussion: 18 event packages have been sold since last month’s meeting. Hopefully this last month will be a surge of package purchases. Additions to cascade of stars and welcome show line up – requesting 4 more comps for these people from board. HELP NEEDED – convention center wants insurance certificate City of El Paso SMG (operational group) Officers etc additionally insured. Afton should be able to handle that and have it mailed. Could call Hartford Insurance as well. Hartford is our insurance company. Camino Reale got back and brunch can be provided – except friday and saturday will have to split us because of already booked rooms – 10 to 1 extended hours from them as well. All agree – it sounds good to comp these performers. 39 total comps at this point. Well done Jim. Brunch – all within the same building – ballrooms and restaurant rooms. Hooper special workshop is on the yes side of the mountain. Getting it up on website and getting some marketing going. Special workshop leaders list, get those people signed up and contacted. We are on track for previous years as far as attendance – hopefully around 300 -325 based on current registrations. Budgeted attendance is 175 adult early (short by a few), 30 pre fes online adult (close to), Y/S 50/30. Onsite projections low for onsite registrations based on previous years. 310 total projected.


Marketing (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Things are going well. Killing it in social media – all the posts are getting good traction. Power of facebook ads and targeting. 600 visits in last 7 days to EJuggle. 🙂

Can create custom audiences for ads with on page ‘pixels’ – tracking through facebook and email lists. Make targeted ads for these people, good for the future of donation drives and membership drives. Possible solution to t-shirt – direct to consumer – printing site instead of us getting shirts printed and mailing. Print Aura – ordering on our website then those orders get directed to them. They do all shipping and inventory. Unlimited colors. Branded from IJA in label too. Good option for this year. Volunteer has to place order – there will be a simple process to make it happen. Non members can order products from site.


YJA (Ellen Winters)

Discussion: All good, thanks Ellen.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: Budget breakdown for April is here. Not a lot of news – but 600 views recently – so that is going well.


Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)

Discussion: Membership will dip some because jugheads are not attending this year – they are good for 15 – 30 memberships a year when they show up.


IRC (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: Going well, building up and the interest is high. Looking to create a fundraising arm of the IRC’s to develop them further. Good at making in-roads with other jugglers – up the reputation of the IJA worldwide. Promotional Videos to be made, people on board to help.

Future Festival Planning (Mike Sullivan)

Nothing to report. Continuing to follow-up on leads generated at the NASC Symposium in April.

Discussion: Things are looking smooth. No progress on 2017 festival director. (discussion below)


  1. Motions for Consideration
  2. Motion to appoint Erin Stephens and Marvin Ong as the World Juggling Day 2016 Co-Organizers.

Motion: Bob

Second: Jared

Discussion: All good. And Nil.

Vote:  Unanimously Approved

  1. Motion to approve IJA Bookkeeper Dennis Morrison and IJA Treasurer Afton Benson as Account Managers on the IJA Rewards Card with company number 4443954378487958.

Motion: Shivella

Second: Bob

Discussion: Bank of america rewards card to make payments. Giving them account management privileges. BOA needs signed minutes to let them be managers of the account.  Need board members to sign for these.

Signed by:

Shivella Schwab __________________________

Louie Skaradek __________________________

Vote:  Unanimously Approved


  1. Motion to approve hosting the first international XJuggling competition at La

    Conve Pie Direcho in Peru.  (Proposal)

Motion: Shivella

Second: Noel

Discussion: (mentioned above in the ‘added this’ section) Erin discusses – Host of this likes the connections with the IJA. Continue to partner. Getting sponsors – GoPro, Red Bull – fits in the fast paced performance world to match those possible sponsors. Diabolo competitions in Taiwan. Rules are finalized and updated. Cost would be the medals – but this should be covered by the event or sponsors. XJuggling – not extreme juggling. Update the webpage for XJuggling. Possibly add the page to our site. Create a historical archive and the winning tricks Page.

Vote: Unanimously Approved

  1. Motion to extend the deadline for Board nominations until June 17th.

Motion: Bob

Second: Shivella

Discussion:  Four open board slots this year, only have 2 nominees, Need to be proactive to find these candidates. If you are currently on board – you need to go through the process and submit the statement. FIND SOME PEOPLE TO JOIN THE BOARD!!

Vote: Unanimously Approved


  1. Varia:
  1. 2017 Festival Director

Sent feeler out to Cody from Noel. Looking forward to working with Mike again. Mike or Nathan to follow up – could be interested if we catch him soon. He has done it once, wants to try again. Would like to do better than Purdue.



Proposal to go to executive session – end audio recording for ES. And a new agenda.



  1. Set June Meetings

Next Vision Planning Meeting – June 6th 7:30 pm ET.

Next Board Meeting – June  27th 7:30 pm ET. (last meeting before festival)


  1. Motion to move to Executive Session

Motion to move: Bob

Second: Shivella

Discuss: Nil

Voting:   Unanimously Approved

Meeting move at 8:37 pm ET.


All non board members have left.

Off recorded record.

EX Session ended at 8:58



Motion by Bob

Vote: Unanimously Approved

Ended at 8:59 PM Eastern Time