Business Board Meeting April 24, 2022

1. Call to Order

Chair, Aslynne Howes, called the meeting to order at 7:08  pm Eastern

2. Roll

Present: Benjamin Domask-Ruh,Scott Steiskal,  Niels Duinker, Afton Benson, Martin Frost, Aslynne Howes

Absent: Amy Wieliczka Matan Presberg Chris Garcia

Recorder: Benjamin Domask-Ruh

3. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Benjamin

Second by: Scott


Vote: Unanimously Approved!

4. Approval of Minutes: 

Business Board Meeting (LINK)

Motion: Benjamin

Second: Niels


Vote: Unanimously Approved

5. Reports 

Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival discussion.


2022 Festival Report (Afton Benson)


Afton: Site visit went well! Helpful for Afton and Ross. 

Aslynne: There may be one Board Member not available to attend the festival. 

Scott and Niels commends Aftons on the work!

Financial Report (Afton Benson)


Aslynne: Is this the same $10,000 from the last meeting?

Afton: No. We have a balance, this is a new check. 

Aslynne: Have you been in contact with MMC?

Afton: Yes, Waiting to hear back

Martin: Thanks Afton for staying on top of this unique situation. Martin clarifies about the PayPal donation page for the MMC through the IJA website, is this something that would need to be closed?


Afton: Yes, if the motion passes. 

Future Festival Site Report (Mike Sullivan)


eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)


Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Membership Data


Afton: We have a handful of new Lifetime Members! (Thanks Don Lewis for pointing that out.)

General discussion about Mike and Marilyn’s vacation status. 

Martin: Clarification on the number of lifetime members

Afton: 3 new LTM!

Martin: “How’d you learn about these?”

Afton: “I dug into the YM database and financial information and saw them.” Afton suggests some operational procedures for being contacted if/when you become one!

Martin: Reminds us about lifetime members being listed in Juggler’s World

Afton: Also reminds us that early festival registration members were listed in the magazine.

Martin: And special festival perks! 

Aslynne: We do want to have an acknowledgement going to our new lifetime members. 

Martin and Afton: Agree on needing a system set up to make this happen. 

Aslynne: Currently contacting new life members until system is set up!

Marketing Report (Matan Presberg)


Afton: If you see festival marketing on social media, please share it!

IRC Report (Erin Stephens)


YJA Report (Benjamin Domask-Ruh)


Benjamin: Waiting to get YJA Director email

Scott: I will send immediately
Martin:  YJA email address currently goes to Erin and Galen, should be changed to Benjamin?

Benjamin:  Correct

OpsO Report (Scott Steiskal)


Scott: Just sent official notice to Benjamin, the new YJA Director. Currently seeking 2023 Festival Membership Director (2 submissions) position as well as Membership Director (0 submissions). 

Afton: Will reach out to some people and reminds about a deadline in the next newsletter

Aslynne: Confirms the deadline! 

Scott: Will send an update to everyone who applied and when they can expect a response.


6. Motions for Consideration

A: Motion to stop accepting donations for MMCC.

Author: Afton Benson

Motion: Scott

Second: Benjamin


Scott: Agrees that this is a generally good idea. 


In favor:



Results: Unanimously Passed!

7. Varia:

Afton: Will contact our MMCC contact and work with Martin to close the links we have

Martin: Wants a straw poll about who will/isn’t running for election/re-election. (Benjamin, Matan, Chris, Scott)

Scott: Will not be re-running

Benjamin: Planning on re-running

Afton: Will message Matan and Sara Noelle about posting social media updates. Afton is also always asking people.

Discussion on age limits – Definitely has to be a member. Not sure if they need to be over 18. 

Afton: My organization allows teenagers but that they can’t vote on money issues. 

Aslynne: We will look further into the issue

Afton: Will have the parliamentarian look into it further, too!

Aslynne: Will send an email to the other board members to clarify running/re-running.

Scott: Asks about World Juggling Day and Tee-Spring t-shirts. We have a design sold last year and could sell them again. Is it worth the effort?

Martin: Never worth the ‘financial effort’ but undetermined about the marketing aspect.

Afton: Discusses with Scott about local MN juggling club member Rebecca about design ideas.

Martin: Paying someone and not making money and asking about the worth.

Scott: We did turn a profit last year!

Aslynne: Different ways to pay people, such as a percentage of the sales

Does seem worthwhile but we will need to look into options more. 

8. Confirm Next Meeting

Next meetings will take place on… 7:00pm Eastern

May 8th, 2022 at 7:00pm ET for the next vision meeting 

May 22nd, 2022 at 7:00pm ET for the next business meeting

9. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:53 pm Eastern. 

Leave a Reply