Business Board Meeting May 21st, 2018

1. Call to Order
Chair, Nathan Wakefield, called the meeting to order at: 7:05 pm EDT

2. Roll: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Ian Michael Loughlin, Eric Shibuya, Exuro Piechocki, Josie Marks-McQuade, Scott Cain, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Erin Stephens, Martin Frost, Noel Yee, Matan Presberg
Present: Nathan Wakefield, Louie Skaradek, Exuro Piechocki, Scott Cain, Mike Sullivan, Afton Benson, Martin Frost
Absent: Ian Michael-Loughlin, Eric Shibuya, Josie Marks-McQuade, Erin Stephens, Noel Yee, Matan Presberg

3. Approval of Agenda
Motion: Louie
Second by: Scott
Discussion: none
Vote: unanimously approved

4. Approval of Minutes:
Business Board Meeting April 23rd, 2018
Motion: Scott
Second: Exuro
Discussion: none
Vote: unanimously approved

5. Reports (Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival and future festival discussion)
Financial Report (Afton Benson)
In short, the reason for the financial differences between the years is from when items are processed throughout the year or finalized at the end of the year. Hence the total difference for the year being so minimal.
Afton: Differences noted in last month’s meeting were from delays in assets received versus expenses paid from year to year.
[Ian Michael-Loughlin joins call] Nathan: Are we waiting to file 990 until a certain date? We have an extension filed.
Afton: No need to wait but we are not rushed at this moment.
Nathan: Please send latest 990 to board after this meeting. Give Board a week to review before filing.
Martin: Dennis requested access to YM to review purchases, orders, membership, Martin presumed this would affect the 990. What is that status?
Afton: Dennis sent an email on this already, will resend it to Martin.

2018 Festival Report (Noel Yee)
Discussion: Mr. Yee is absent, no report.
Nathan: Schedule is online, credit to Ian, Erin, Nathan.
Ian: Candidate statements and names added for Board nominees
Scott: Rumored that Michael Ferrari will attend IJA, possibly as a competitor.
How is registration looking? : 276 registrants at this time.

Future Festival Planning Report (Mike Sullivan)
Hotel contracts for our HQ hotel (Hyatt Regency Wichita) and our overflow/alternate/value hotel (Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview) are in the Google Drive for Wichita 2021, ready for Nathan to sign and send back for countersignature.
I was expecting to receive final draft contracts for the Orpheum Theater and Century II convention space in time to sign this month, but are waiting for them to send them along.
Nathan: Nervous to sign on with hotels without having convention center and theater contracts ready.
Mike: Has seen drafts, just doesn’t have a final contract at this time. Expects them soon. Not concerned about whether those contracts will be produced. Would prefer hotel contracts signed asap.
Nathan: Asks to wait until Wednesday to hope for receipt of convention center/theater before signing with hotels.
Mike: Notes there is an escape clause in the contracts allowing exit until 2 years out, giving us about 14 months to cancel if needed.
Decision is to wait until Wednesday, Nathan will send straw poll at that time.

eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)
Discussion: none

Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Discussion: none

Marketing Report (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: none

IRC Report (Erin Stephens)
Discussion: none

YJA Report (Galen Harp)
Discussion: none

WJD Report (Josie Marks-McQuade)
Martin: Minor issues with company that provides shirts, solved. Not really any profit to be had on the shirts. Mostly a feel good thing. Notice will go out in the next newsletter. Minimal marketing thus far.

6. Motions for Consideration

A. Motion to approve the 2018 Awesomeness Fund Committee selections.
Motion: Exuro
Second: Louie
All: Still interested in getting a masseuse and/or cardboard boxes
Martin : Ping Pong table? Scott like PP table too
Nathan: concerned that more than half the fund has not been allocated. Budget is $2k. Suggests to create “exfiltration” for these materials in addition to the procurement.
Decision is to revisit this in two weeks at the next vision planning meeting and vote at that time.
Vote: unanimously opposed
Opposed: Nathan, Louie, Scott, Exuro, Ian
Abstain: none
In Favor: none

B. Motion to proceed with the IJA Patreon account as outlined in the Patreon Proposal.
Patreon Proposal
Motion: Scott
Second: Louie
Exuro : Well thought out by a number of people. Good for internationals.
Abstain: Exuro
Approved: All others
Approved Copy :

C. Motion to grant current, active Board Members assisted access to the IJA Festival.
Motion: Exuro
Second: Scott
Long note from Afton regarding the need for clarification.
Louie : Interested regarding people in the past being bothered about not receiving pay for similar work.
Nathan : General Fund expense or Festival expense?
Exuro : Thinking General Fund
Nathan: Total cost?
Louie : about $1750
Scott : Torn about the idea. The IJA doesn’t have large margins. Personally likes it, but unsure if it is right from the perspective of the org. Many officers put in more time than some of the board members.
Ian : other reasons from in the past that this might be denied?
Louie : Unique proposal, where is the balance between expense and income? Finds the concept reasonable.
Nathan : Thinks it is reasonable. The IJA typically is in the red each year though. Many officers put in more time than some board members. How could that be defined in a way that does not seem unfair.
Louie : Suggests perhaps extending festival passes to officers as well. How to determine who can receive this? Logging hours?
Martin : Very challenging to track hours. In 2003 IJA moved to all volunteer and board voted not to receive festival passes. Since has been changed on occasion to allow festival passes for some Board Members. Sees that it could be helpful for some Board Members who may be on a tight budget.
Opposed : Scott, Louie, Nathan, Ian
Abstain : Exuro
Outcome : Failed

D. Motion to appoint the 2019 IJA Festival Director.
Motion: Ian
Second: Louie
Discussion: Two qualified candidates.
Vote: unanimously approved

E. Motion to appoint David Cain 2019 Festival Director
Motion: Ian
Second: Exuro
Ian: tough decision, a lot of back and forth. Hopeful that Ross will reapply in the future.
Louie: Agrees that Ross is qualified, but would be better for in the future. David is right for this particular year and location.
Exuro: Location is right for David to be the festival director.
Abstain : Scott Cain
In Favor : Exuro, Nathan, Louie, Ian
Outcome : Approved

7. Varia:
No response from Guinness. Our connection recently stopped working for Guinness.
Someone is making a world record attempt at 100m juggling 5 balls soon.

Important for Noel Yee to be present at next month’s meeting.

Josie has been absent from many meetings.

8. Set June Meetings
Next Vision Planning Meeting – June 4th, 2018 at 7:00 ET
Next Business Board Meeting – June 18th, 2018 at 7:00 ET.

9. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn: Ian
Discussion: none
Voting: unanimously approved

Meeting adjourned at 8:32 pm ET.

Leave a Reply