Business Board Meeting

1. Call to Order

Chair, Mike Moore, called the meeting to order at: 8:34 pm Eastern

2. Roll

Present: Afton Benson, Matan Presberg, Amy Wieliczka, Martin Frost, Chris Garcia, Scott Steiskal, Mike Moore

Absent: Eric Shibuya, Aslynne Howes

Recorder: Afton Benson & Scott Steiskal


3. Approval of Agenda

Motion: Scott Steiskal

Second by: Amy Wieliczka


Vote: Passes Unanimously 

4. Approval of Minutes: 

Business Board Meeting  (LINK) (August)

Motion: Matan Presberg 

Second: Chris Garcia


Vote: Passes Unanimously 


5. Reports 

Please keep verbal reports to 5 min or less except for festival discussion.


2021 Festival Report (Ross Berenson)

Discussion: Budget mostly completed 

Team mostly assembled

First meeting soon


Financial Report (Afton Benson)

Discussion: Looking to decrease the number of line items (working to speak with Dennis)

Time is weird.

Looking to reconcile different versions of IRC budgets

Have not heard from Unna Med, we have not received their pledge for this year yet.  We have an emergency contact with them but are waiting for communication with Erin before using that.

Amy: Fest 2020 expense report?
Afton: Coming soon, thanks for the reminder


eJuggle Report (Scott Seltzer)

Discussion: Eager to get feedback, and is looking for some direction from the board. 

Mike Moore: Seems like there’s a tone of “I decide”

Afton Benson: Overall lack of oversight for eJuggle; the board would do well to set some metrics and how they want things to go and what they’re expecting to see 

Mike: Morgan Anderson (runs props to that podcast), looking to contribute to e-juggle, at the time that fell through but we could check to see if her life was able to accommodate eJuggle. (Mike is going to reach out to Morgan) 

Scott: Would like to see audio/video content find ways to incentivise that, people watch and listen to things a lot more than they read digital content. 

Mike: eJuggle does have Tricks of the Month and Drop Everything

Afton: Keep in mind how the board wants eJuggle can/does serve the mission; can we look at the analytics at how long people are on the website or specific articles? 

Martin: Might be something for analytics; tried to do a survey and asked how much people read and used the website, only 18 people replied 

Afton: People usually reply to surveys that have incentives 

Amy: It’d be good to set up Google Analytics on; would be able to set this up 

Afton: Can Scott Steiskal follow up with Mike Sullivan re: Gsuite migration?

Scott: would it be more beneficial to see some analytics before we talk about the direction we want to go?

Mike: There’s a table somewhere that has this data, maybe marketing?

Matan: We were pulling hits from everything or FB, going to follow up with Erin Stephens. (example from 2/2019)

Mike: Would be a starting point. A lot of that data was pretty small. Looking for what would be the best line of action to do Gsuite or Analytics first

Amy: Looking into how Google Analytic properties work; hopefully we can get it set quicker

Martin: What data does GA (Google Analytics) use?

Amy: (Brief explanation of how GA works)

eJuggle replies from Scott 


Membership (Marilyn Sullivan)
Membership Data

Discussion: No real changes in the trends, down slightly from last month, curious how it maybe changes if we have another festival next year. 


Marketing Report (Erin Stephens/Matan Presberg)

Discussion: A little bit slow on the marketing with Erin in transit, but have been pushing out new tricks of the month each week. Hoping to have a meeting as a marketing team real soon. 


IRC Report (Erin Stephens)

Discussion: n/a


YJA Report (Galen Harp)

Discussion:  n/a


6. Motions for Consideration

A: Motion to…

Author :
Motion :
Second : 

Discussion : 


Vote :
In favour:
Oppose :
Abstain :
Result : 


7. Varia: 

Mike Moore: Interviews have been really good lately; we have a new writer/interviewer and those have been in English & Spanish which has been great! 


Scott Steiskal: got an email from Jared Davis wanting to run something that encourages people to do really hard tricks there’s a cash prize for this. Asking for the IJA to be involved, looking into what he is thinking extent wise. If marketing support is what he’s looking for is that’s pretty easy to do. 


Matan Presberg: doesn’t love the idea of the IJA getting involved it feels complicated and gatekeeping. Sounds like Jared wanted the IJA to solicit people and funds; personally not interested in the IJA being involved. 


Martin: agrees with Matan

Amy: felt uncertain about the items Matan brought up

Afton: doesn’t feel like this aligns with our mission fully


Scott Steiskal: David Cain did something similar with historical tricks where there was a prize


Mike Moore: It would be a weird space for the IJA to get into, less concerns about gatekeeping since we already have a bunch of competitions. We already ask for money in a lot of different ways and asking for more money may decrease the amount we get in other places.


Martin: Where’d the prizes come from before?

Mike: It was a membership 


Scott: If the goal is to render assistance to jugglers; does this reach the goals for our organization? 

Mike: Prize money gives people incentive to push juggling more

Martin: Numbers prizes helps get people to the festival 

Afton: So does this idea help reach the goals of the org?

Mike: Helps move towards the goal, but not sufficiently enough to justify the cost. It could also be a bit awkward if we say we’ll do this and then one of the people who wanted to donate and they don’t then what. 

Chris: Sounds like people could go to a website where people donate to the specific trick so a person can try to nail that trick to try to gain that money. On the fence of the IJA managing it at this point

Afton: It sounds a bit of a murky area if that’s Chris’ description 

Scott/Mike: doesn’t sound like there’s a lot of support atm.

Scott: Sounds like we’ll pass on this at this time 

Amy: It may be worth while stating that this isn’t a program that the IJA is interested in running, but if Jared wanted to run something on his own he’d likely be welcome to write for eJuggle too.
Mike: perfectly great for eJuggle to report on things supporting the jugging community 


Martin question for Afton: Received a bunch of donations over the last month or so, why is that happening. 

Afton: Likely donations from our videos from the online Festival; from the links in the descriptions 

Scott: TSpring has also continued to bring in money 

Martin: Can we track these?

Afton: Link goes to Streamlabs

Amy: Checking on Streamlabs 

Scott: How we can link our fundraising strategy to our content and marketing strategy? Could advertise the merch 

Mike: Could also be from Henry Benton, passed away and his mother reached out asking where she could donate. 

Martin’s going to pull a list for Afton to check out!


Amy: Did put a lot of thinking into the monthly idea and wound up with a work training opportunity that came up in the past few weeks. Not going to have the time to run a monthly event. 

Mike: if we’re not looking to do monthly ones, are we looking to advertise for other festivals 

Afton: we put them in the enewsletter so why not

Matan: sharing on FB it is super easy, for IG we’d want some interesting media content but overall marketing for that would be good.

Mike: Matan let Mike know what you need for IG content 


In running the online festival one of the problems that came up was getting access/logins to various things and have been looking into shared password managers for teams. Most recently worked with LastPass and KeyBase. 

Afton: Does it allow for password sharing?

Amy: Yes and it hides the info but unsure if you can copy paste it. One person would be the admin who can share the info out. They also have a monthly payment version as well. KeyBase is free but it is more complicated to use.

Mike: On LastPass one to one is included but one to many is not. 

Martin: When someone leaves the orgs you don’t want them to have the passwords anymore. 

Amy: Looking for somewhere to have a vault that belongs to the org, that has sharing permissions 

Afton: Maybe 2 admins 

Amy: Did noticed that there are a few app plug-ins for GSuit that could work too 


Chris: What’s the Bindlestiff status

Matan: Has been sharing the link for them 

Mike: So we don’t have to pay them that amount and Matan was going to do a piece 

Matan: will follow up on doing that piece

Mike: His juggling student could potentially do a piece as well


8. Confirm Next Meeting

Next meetings will take place on…(EMAILING Board members!) 

for the next vision meeting: October 

for the next business meeting: October


9. Adjournment


Meeting adjourned at 9:41 pm Eastern. 

Leave a Reply