Planning Board Meeting October 6, 2013
5:30pm Pacific Time
Call In Information:
Toll-Free Dial-In Number: 1.800.977.8002
Participant Conference Code: 189209#
Start the Recording
1. Call to Order
Chair, Erin Stephens, called the meeting to order at 5:40pm PST.
Present: Jared Davis, Noel Yee, Nathan Wakefield, Kyle Johnson, Erin Stephens
Absent: Scott Krause, Lloyd Timberlake
Quebec City Festival Proposal
– What is the $20 and $125 figures on right side of budget by Gym and Theater?
– General feeling is that the overall profits are overly optimistic.
– Joggling would be downtown instead on a track, but could be eligible for city grant money.
– Long distances between venues is a big concern among the board.
– Noel brought up a great point that the festival director is figured to make $7500, but the IJA only profits $110 (or a lower figure) and that doesn’t seem fair to the organization.
-Noel suggested a smaller meeting to have a heart-to-heart with the festival director to share a bit about our finances and why we need to be fiscally responsible.
Further Questions to present to Veronique
Goals for booking venues
Discussion on the Festival Requirements PDF. Points about lodging wording being awkward, and the show stopper section turning off potential venues.
Talk about moving potential IJA festivals earlier in the summer to make them further away from EJC and other events.
What type of venues do we want to focus on
Keeping venues within walking distance of the convention, or having strong shuttle system setup between the two.
Discussion about local venues offering to host the festivals themselves and how this could streamline the festival planning process. Jarden suggests marketing to juggling clubs to get them to offer to host IJA festivals.
Erin mentions talking to people who have already expressed interest in hosting IJA festivals into more affordable alternate options.
General feeling is that we need to get festivals outside the Midwest and likely onto the West coast, or at the very least at “destination cities” to increase interest in attendees interested in tourism.
Kyle mentions trying to find more camping options during festivals, possibly at fairgrounds.
4. Confirm Oct. 27, 5:30pm PST for next board meeting.
Kyle made the motion to adjourn the meeting at unanimous 6:43 PST.